Unexpected post about the Royal Wedding – Feeling homesick in Guatemala

I did not expect to be writing a post about my own country quite so soon especially not one about the Royal Family but when I got up this morning and put on the TV to catch up on the news, I had totally forgotten that Prince William was marrying the beautiful Kate the commoner (I love that expression, only used in relation to royalty, just like gentil only used in relation to Jews). I have to admit I felt rather tearful watching it all and I had to stop and try to think why.

I do not consider myself a royalist or a republican in fact INDIFFERENT in capital letters would be the category that I would put myself in.  I realised that the fascination for our Royal Family that was all over the world was good for our tourist coffers if not for our image as a modern democracy!

I think I just felt homesick and sad that my children and I were not there to enjoy and remember what is essentially a great big party with a truly British sense of irony whether you spend most of it slagging off the Royals and making fun of them or watching on adoringly …….. that is our prerogative.  Yes we are a modern democracy that still has a House of Lords and  a Monarchy and that is ridiculous, but I like the fact that we are ridiculous.

In this time of celebrity culture I think I would prefer to watch this wedding more than J-Lo´s or Tom Cruise´s.  A New York friend was surprised that I was watching it and said ¨ohh that is so tacky¨.  A British Royal Wedding can be many things to many people but tacky no, we leave that to the Hollywood stars they do it so well.

SO what would I be doing if I was home.  I noticed that there was the usual alternative Royal Wedding Party in Shoreditch my old stamping ground in the Bohemian multi-cultural Eastend but I have to say the party in Hyde Park looked pretty good!  Lots of great British picnics and lots of bottles of champagne being passed around.  And even though I am a socialist I am a champagne socialist!  The weather was good, London looked beautiful and so did Kate and her dress and for a moment I felt as though I was watching Shrek with my kids and the sadness of the real world melted away.

The Syrian Ambassador was disinvited.  Tony Blair didn´t receive an invitation (cool, slimy little toerag) but Margaret Thatcher did (very uncool).  Victoria Beckham managed to get in there hanging on the arm of her husband (very uncool as she is TACKY).

Nico asked me.  Is that what you did when you married Papa?  I didn´t like to tell him that we had never had the time or the inclination as I sat there staring at the screen wondering if I could wear that dress like a pathetic teenage girl!

I wonder how many people watched the Royal Wedding in Cuba?  Not many I suppose!  I wonder who watched it here in Guatemala?  My nanny Juju just arrived full of questions.  She liked the dress too!

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay
This entry was posted in Cuba, culture, Fashion, Guatemala, UK and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Unexpected post about the Royal Wedding – Feeling homesick in Guatemala

1. HSTNN-UB72 says:

Wait just a second! Does the British Royal family have a LAST NAME??? What is Prince William’s last name??

• admin says:

I am far from being an expert on these matters but I think it could be Windsor. The Tudors were the Tudors and this lot are the Windsors. But how all the protocol of titles works I am not sure. They are the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge which I think was a title created just for them.

2. Bass Pryce says:

I was at my best dis-interested best watching the nuptuals of the silver and stainless steel spoons, and at least pretending to watch out of half an eye for the sake of my republican roots; and for reasons beyond my control watching with a group of Germans who actually cheered on several occasions and from what I could make out appropriate moments.

Obviously ’66 has been forgiven or perhaps they were distant cousins.

• admin says:

THe interest in our Royal Family outside the country has always puzzled me. Maybe these Germans identify with Battenburg or Mount Batten! But I was thinking that my faith in modern politics has dwindled to almost nothing that maybe old Queeny would do a better job of running the country and then we wouldn´t have to pretend that we live in a democracy.

Like the comment about the silver and stainless steel spoons. I am actually originally from Co Durham where they dug up her coal mining past. I missed all the media hype so the half morning I had the BBC world service on in the background felt like the minimum. I gather in the UK the media fervour was enough to drive the most loyal royalist a bit crazy.

• Bass Pryce says:

Buenes suerte en Cuba.

He oido Cuba esta un pais interessante.

• admin says:

espero que voy a encontrar las cosas interesantes en Cuba pero parace que esta cambiando rapido y talvez no es bueno. on this blog I hope to share with you the good and the bad but I will try not to be down on the places where I live.

3. Looking at the rundown for this Saturday morning’s 7a-9am newscast… we have zero royal wedding stories in… 0 …

4. MTJAM says:

Hello and thanks for commenting on my blog. Re Cotswold attractions it depends on where you’re going to be (the Cotswolds covers quite a large area) but if you’ve got access to a car the Cotswold Wildlife park (near Burford) and the Cotswold Farm Park (near Stow on the Wold) are both well worth a visit for children of all ages. Bourton is fabulous too, with the motor museum, beautiful picnic places and even a perfumery :) Email me and let me know how you get on – and if you want a playdate with us!

• admin says:

thanks for getting in touch. We will be in Blockley so can get to all those places really easily. Have never made it to the farm as it is always closed in September when I am usually there. I think the boys might be old enough to do the motor museum in Bourton now. I love that charity shop just opposite. I always stock up on books and clothes for all of us. I arrive with the 3 children around 18th July. I´ll drop you a line and maybe we can meet up!

• Josephine says:

I have finally managed to set up the subscription section of my blog if you want to subscribe! Hope to meet you in July. Jo

5. Selena says:

I have to admit, I skipped the entire Royal Wedding (I don’t even own a television), but it’s impossible not to see photos and such all over the internet. Though to be fair, I stay away from any celebrity weddings, as well. Some of the hats in the photos I’ve seen were quite the fashion statement, I must say!
    I do hope you enjoy Cuba. I would love to see it someday.

• admin says:

Every country has their way of doing weddings and in the UK the hat thing is often an excuse to show our eccentricity. THe greatest place for hat extravagance is the horse racing at Royal Ascot. Personally I have never worn a hat to any wedding but people visiting from overseas to go to a typical British wedding get very worried about the hat protocol. SO if you ever get invited to a British wedding the choice is yours hat or no hat.

• Josephine says:

Hey Selena
      I have finally set up a subscribe option on my blog page so you can receive my posts as I write them.